Springsteen joins Costello for television Spectacle

Alles um Bruce Springsteen und die E-Streeter.

Moderatoren: magie, humantouch

Springsteen joins Costello for television Spectacle

Beitragvon magie » Mo 18. Jan 2010, 17:34

If I tried to come up with a list of personal rock ’n’ roll fantasies, a late-’70s jam session featuring the combined forces of Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello and their respective backing groups — the E Street Band and the Attractions — would have to be near the top. Springsteen’s "Born To Run" and "Darkness on the Edge of Town" albums and Costello’s "My Aim Is True," "This Year’s Model" and "Armed Forces" — all released between 1975 and 1979 — made up a big part of the soundtrack of my teenage years, and still rank among my all-time favorites.

So it was thrilling, and a bit surreal, to watch Springsteen, Costello, two E Streeters (guitarist Nils Lofgren and keyboardist Roy Bittan) and two original Attractions (keyboardist Steve Nieve and drummer Pete Thomas) play together on two episodes of Costello’s music-and-talk show "Spectacle: Elvis Costello With ..." Those episodes will air on the Sundance Channel on Wednesday and Jan. 27 at 10 p.m.

The hour-long shows — both taped at a nearly four-hour session in September at New York’s Apollo Theatre — will close the second season of this remarkable series, whose previous installments have featured guests like Bono and the Edge of U2, Elton John, the Police and Lou Reed.

Songs performed by the entire ensemble include urgent versions of Springsteen’s "The Rising" and "Seeds," as well as a soul-shouting duet on the Sam and Dave hit "I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down" and a well-conceived medley of Springsteen’s "Radio Nowhere" and Costello’s "Radio Radio."

At Costello’s request, Springsteen also performs "Wild Billy’s Circus Story," "Galveston Bay" and "American Skin (41 Shots)," while Costello sings Patti Scialfa’s "Black Ladder." They also try out an impromptu duet on Roy Orbision’s "Oh, Pretty Woman," but abandon it after one verse.

Costello opens the first episode by singing Springsteen’s "She’s the One" and introducing him as the "past, present, future of rock ’n’ roll." The artists’ respect and admiration for each other is obvious as they discuss Springsteen’s development as a musician and a person, and their musical philosophies.

"The greatest rock ’n’ roll musicians are desperate men," Springsteen muses. "You’ve got to have something bothering you all the time."

"You can’t always be a nice guy in the song, is what it is," Costello responds.

The pair also zeros in on specific topics, such as Springsteen’s early years performing in Asbury Park (he calls it a "low-rent Fort Lauderdale" and says the town’s isolation from the recording industry meant "you were left in a bit of your own wilderness"), fatherhood, the influence of Bob Dylan and President Obama’s inauguration.

The most amusing segment comes when they talk about the way Springsteen’s songwriting changed between 1975’s "Born to Run" and 1978’s "Darkness on the Edge of Town," becoming ... well, darker.

"One reason it was different is there was some young English songwriter at the time who said the songs on ‘Born To Run’ were too romantic," says Springsteen. "I can’t remember his name right now, but ..."

Costello looks genuinely surprised. "Was it me?" he asks. "It wasn’t me."

"I’ve been waiting 30 years for this moment," says Springsteen, with delight. "What do you think? Of course it was."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In harmony With long careers spanning a similar era, Bruce Springsteen and Elvis Costello have crossed paths many times.
1988: Both guest on the Cinemax special “Roy Orbison and Friends, A Black and White Night” (taped in ’87).

1996: Costello releases his version of Springsteen’s “Brilliant Disguise” as a B side to his “It’s Time” single. The song later comes out on the 2003 “Light of Day” benefit CD and a 2004 reissue of Costello’s “Kojak Variety” album.

2001: They perform a medley of Costello’s “Alison” and Smokey Robinson’s “Tracks of My Tears” and “Tears of a Clown” at a holiday benefit at Asbury Park’s Convention Hall.

2003: They perform “London Calling” with Steven Van Zandt and Dave Grohl as a tribute to the late Joe Strummer at the Grammy Awards.

2004: Springsteen sings “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love and Understanding” (written by Nick Lowe, but popularized by Costello) nightly on the Vote For Change concert tour.

2006: They are among a large group of musicians performing Wilson Pickett’s “In the Midnight Hour” at the Grammys.

2009: Costello is a surprise guest, dueting on the Jackie Wilson hit “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher” at a Madison Square Garden concert by Springsteen.

— Jay Lustig

Quelle:By Jay Lustig/The Star-Ledger
January 17, 2010, 6:44AM

Magie 8-)
Same sad story that`s a fact one step up and two step`s back
magie

von Anzeige » Mo 18. Jan 2010, 17:34

Anzeige

Ähnliche Beiträge

TAGS

Zurück zu Bruce Springsteen and The E-Street Band